Hello everyone, today is the last and final dye tests of 2016. When I look at that number I don’t think it looks like very much, but then for most of those posts you have to multiply by three because most posts equal three dye tests. So really I did thirty-three dye tests. That’s a high number. Think I can beat that in 2017? Anyways this post is four dye tests.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Test no. 11 of 2016”
Hello there! Here is my latest natural dye test! This post only contains one dye test opposed to the usual three, but that is because this test was very specific for a shirt. And I knew the goal was blue. It had to result in blue (oops spoilers!) no if, ands or buts. I used black hollyhocks to achieve it and it worked with a little bit of help.
Continue reading “Black Hollyhock Natural Dye Test”
Hello everyone, today I am back with the last round of three dye tests I did and let me tell you that it was definitely a battle of the yellows and golds. For this round of tests that I conducted I used mainly odds and ends of flowers that I had collected and dyed that I wasn’t sure what colour would become of them.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Samples no.10 of 2016”
Hello! Today is the ninth installment of natural dye tests. I feel like I’ve done more natural dye tests than that but most of these posts have three different test materials so if you do the math that’s roughly 27 tests.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Tests No. 9 of 2016”
Hello everyone today is another round of natural dye tests. This time round I tested two different colours of clematis petals, one was a pale purple-pink colour and the other was a royal purple, and I did a solar dyeing test using petals that I only had bits and bobs of. This week I was determined to do a solar dye test that was committed. I feel as though the two other times I attempted it I didn’t want to commit materials to the tests. Mainly because I am such a fan of bundle dyeing, and I know that solar dyeing is the cousin of the bundle dye… And I may happen to have a favourite cousin out of the two… But this week I was committed to do a test full of gusto! And some of the results were surprisingly pigmented whereas others were anemic. But doesn’t that seem like how most of my tests go?
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Tests no.8 of 2016”
Hello everyone, august is here and it is time to see what is new in the garden since last month. I love the mid-summer flowers that start appearing in the garden because they tend to be the ones with the deeper and more vivid colours. However the gardens were hit by a hailstorm at the end of July and things looked a little depleted for a handful of days but then things started to perk up again! So let’s see what’s growing!
Continue reading “My August Garden”
Hello everyone, here is the fifth installment of dye tests! Today I am sharing two tests both using dried petals. One test uses hot pink geranium petals and the other uses a mix of tulip petals and dried gentian flowers. This test is different in the sense that I took it on vacation with me so I had to make it travel sized. This wasn’t hard but it was different and it made it kind of fun because these tests can start to seem redundant with the process and this small change was just enough to put more interest in them. And as for the results this time round they were very surprising to me. I thought I would get a brown colour from the test that used a mix of petals and a pink colour from the geranium petals. But that isn’t what happened I wound up getting a yellow colour and a coffee/pink colour (depending on the fibre used).
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Tests no.5 of 2016”