Hello, in my last blog post I talked briefly about how for the last three years my garden has had the main focus of growing flowers for their dye results. I tested almost every flower in my garden, but especially the ones that were deep colours, and I have had some spectacular results as well as a lot of underwhelming ones. And I think I have come to a point where I can dial back the frantic obsession of trying every plant in my gardens dye potential as well as only buying plants that have intense colours for their dye potential.
Continue reading “Non-Traditional Dye Plant Essentials”
Hello everyone, today I am sharing the results for three dye tests. This time round was a bit different because each test used (or attempted at using) a different natural dye technique. Today on the test menu is dried orange geranium petals, dried orange daylilies, and fresh yarrow leaves. The results I got were surprising for some and disappointing for others. Some colours were bright while others were meek and pale but all belonged to the warm colour family.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Tests no.7 of 2016”
Hello everyone, it is time for round four of natural tests for this year. Today we are taking a look at testing out two iris dyes and a poppy dye. I have been collecting the flowers and petals of these in the freezer since the beginning of June. So I thought it was about time to test out some of these plants. The results that I got were quite surprising though delightful.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Test no.4 of 2016”
Hello everyone, today is round three of summer dye tests! This week was rather busy for me as it was the last week of my spring course (so happy to be done!) so I didn’t run the usual three tests. I only did two: one was frozen orange peels and the other was dried red petunias.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Test no. 3 of 2016”
Hello everyone, a while ago in a post I mentioned some dye experiments. This is not my first post on the matter so I’ve decided to just make this into a series. So they will all have the same title but different numbers and year as the series goes on accordingly. And this post will feature the first round of experiments I’ve done this year composing of fennel, carrot tops, and pomegranate skins.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Test no. 1 of 2016”
In my last post I mentioned that I am making another shirt. You’d think I’d have enough shirts already but no I do not. Also shirts are something that you will always need to wear before leaving the house. Although looking at some current “fashion” it seems to be almost optional… But I am not that person I like to leave the house clothed. And next after this shirt next on my list is a new winter coat like I already mentioned.
(I have no witty caption for this picture… I just liked how distorted the Marshall kitty looked in this picture)
Continue reading “Sewing”
Alright yay two posts in a small amount of time! I’m living dangerously I suppose.
(the Marshall kitty living dangerously by water this past summer at the cabin)
In this post I’ll be talking about the new shirt that I am currently making, Edwardian Farm, a scarf that I made, and some organization that I am rather proud of and think is rather clever… Not that other people will share my enthusiasm for it.
Continue reading “Experiments and other stuff”