Hello everyone, today is the last and final dye tests of 2016. When I look at that number I don’t think it looks like very much, but then for most of those posts you have to multiply by three because most posts equal three dye tests. So really I did thirty-three dye tests. That’s a high number. Think I can beat that in 2017? Anyways this post is four dye tests.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Test no. 11 of 2016”
Hello there! Here is my latest natural dye test! This post only contains one dye test opposed to the usual three, but that is because this test was very specific for a shirt. And I knew the goal was blue. It had to result in blue (oops spoilers!) no if, ands or buts. I used black hollyhocks to achieve it and it worked with a little bit of help.
Continue reading “Black Hollyhock Natural Dye Test”
Hello everyone today is another round of natural dye tests. This time round I tested two different colours of clematis petals, one was a pale purple-pink colour and the other was a royal purple, and I did a solar dyeing test using petals that I only had bits and bobs of. This week I was determined to do a solar dye test that was committed. I feel as though the two other times I attempted it I didn’t want to commit materials to the tests. Mainly because I am such a fan of bundle dyeing, and I know that solar dyeing is the cousin of the bundle dye… And I may happen to have a favourite cousin out of the two… But this week I was committed to do a test full of gusto! And some of the results were surprisingly pigmented whereas others were anemic. But doesn’t that seem like how most of my tests go?
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Tests no.8 of 2016”
Hello everyone, here is the fifth installment of dye tests! Today I am sharing two tests both using dried petals. One test uses hot pink geranium petals and the other uses a mix of tulip petals and dried gentian flowers. This test is different in the sense that I took it on vacation with me so I had to make it travel sized. This wasn’t hard but it was different and it made it kind of fun because these tests can start to seem redundant with the process and this small change was just enough to put more interest in them. And as for the results this time round they were very surprising to me. I thought I would get a brown colour from the test that used a mix of petals and a pink colour from the geranium petals. But that isn’t what happened I wound up getting a yellow colour and a coffee/pink colour (depending on the fibre used).
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Tests no.5 of 2016”
Hello everyone, it is time for round four of natural tests for this year. Today we are taking a look at testing out two iris dyes and a poppy dye. I have been collecting the flowers and petals of these in the freezer since the beginning of June. So I thought it was about time to test out some of these plants. The results that I got were quite surprising though delightful.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Test no.4 of 2016”
Hello everyone, today is round three of summer dye tests! This week was rather busy for me as it was the last week of my spring course (so happy to be done!) so I didn’t run the usual three tests. I only did two: one was frozen orange peels and the other was dried red petunias.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Test no. 3 of 2016”
Hello everyone, today I am sharing my second round of dye samples this year. This time I tested a couple of different techniques and mainly dried goods. I also decided to test some larger pieces of fabric as in the tests I did I wanted to be able to see more surface effects than smooth even dyeing.
Continue reading “Natural Dye Sample Test no. 2 2016”